Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kawan Puff Pastry Block in Manila!

Puff pastry is defined by wikipedia as " a light flaky leavened pastry containing several layers of fat which is in its solid state at 20 degrees.  In raw form, puff pastry is a dough layered with solid fat and repeated folded and rolled out. "  

The cooked product produces a pastry that is  light, flaky and crispy.  Some of the world's best loved bread are made of puff pastry,   Studel, Croissant, Turnovers, Vol au Vent, Sausage rolls, Danish Pastries, and  Beef Wellington are some of its example.

It will be time consuming and difficult to make puff pastry at home, since the fat should be rolled with the flour COLD, and with our summer, that will be virtually impossible. 

Santis Delicatessen has a brand of puff pastry named "Pampas" which costs around 900 plus pesos and packaged at one kilogram.  

Too expensive for me. 

 So imagine my excitement when I saw this Kawan Puff Pastry of Malaysia in Puregold Supermarket.  It costs 180 pesos for a 400 gram pack in the freezer section.  I took it home and tried it out.
I cut it into squares and rolled it with a hotdog for "pig in a blanket" .  Brushed it all around with an egg and milk wash to give it a little color.  Pop it in the oven on 240 degrees 
and....

wa- laah!  I love it! You can never go wrong with it! Fantastic!

I also took some slices of chicken sausage and cheese on a square pastry,
sealed it with egg wash and the tines of a fork.

Pop the whole thing in the oven and ...

Wa- laah! again...I think I am in love with Kawan.  :)

The pastry is light and flaky, buttery and tasty.  PERFECT!  

My kids love it and I love that it is so easy to make at home.  As far as I'm concerned, my sons can have puff pastry everyday for snack. 

 You can put any filling inside.  Peanut butter and jelly, Chicken salad, adobo, corned beef, cheese , fruits, chocolate, even smores ( marshmallow and chocolate).  The possibilities are endless.


love. love.....

http://www.kawanfood.com/kawan/puff.html

http://www.facebook.com/kawanfood

30 comments:

  1. We have the same pastry over and yes, I love this recipe with the pastry you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I ask what puregold branch did u get the puff pastry? Because I went to puregold balintawak & they said they d0n't have any. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puregold shaw boulevard has Kawan pastry block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG THANK YOU FOR THIS POST! hehe. ilang oras na ako nagsusurf makahanap lang ng ibang mapagbibilhan ng puff pastry aside from Santi's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome! Thank you for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this. My daughter has been begging me to find puff pastry. Great post. BTW, how about phyllo/filo pastry sheets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still haven't found an alternative to the expensive phyllo pastry in Santi's or Unimart. I will let you know if you do.

      Delete
  7. hi, i will make an apple pie, can i use that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Elizah, I think its a good idea! But i would sautรฉ fresh apples with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar until they wilt (and if you have calvados- a tweak please). And when it cools down, you can put it on top of the flattened pastry block, brush the pastry with egg wash... And waah! Laah! I think it will taste like apple pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi good afternoon.. is this still available in puregold shaw? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Recently I haven't been there, so I cannot confirm if they still have them in stock but you can call this number to inquire:
    533-8146 / 532-9776. Hope that helps:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi All - glad you like Kawan Puff Pastry - we are the exclusive importer to the Philippines for all Kawan Products. please check our website www.ascona.com.ph and check out all the interesting items we carry - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. It's my 1st time to use puff pastry
    Do i have to flatten the entire 10 sheets (400g pack) or can i use a sheet as it is -- it's sticky though any suggestion on how to segregate each sheet?
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot separate the sheets. You have to flatten entirely to work with it better. I dont see 10sheets. It is a whole block.

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for this post. I'm a newbie when it comes to baking and I'm excited to try this one without having to make a dough from scratch รผ Thanks again! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  14. How many pieces of pastry puff did you make for 400g? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really depends on how thick you want your pastry to be, and the size of the finished product. I was able to make 12 small packages with chicken sausages and cheese. and just 4 of the pigs in a blanket. But I did roll them very thin.

      Delete
  15. Is kawan puff pastry still available in puregold? Up until now?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is kawan puff pastry still available in puregold? Up until now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about pure gold. But I did see them in rustans supermarket.

      Delete
  17. where else can i buy the Kawan Puff Pastry aside from puregold.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im new to this kind of thing. Im a mom and would like to prepare this for my son. But, I just want to know what oven you're using to prepare this? I only have a toaster and have tried toasted bread with different toppings. I would like to try this for my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good to use a conventional oven. A toaster oven has the heating element too near your pastry. It would burn your pastry before it gets cooked. A standard oven with bigger interior space is ideal.

      Delete
    2. It would be good to use a conventional oven. A toaster oven has the heating element too near your pastry. It would burn your pastry before it gets cooked. A standard oven with bigger interior space is ideal.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. I cannot see any in Manila. If there are ,occasionalily, only when in season. And too expensive.

      Delete
  20. San sa maynila may puff pastry๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ asap please

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the visit. Comment away!