Friday, January 6, 2012

Where to buy Balut- in Pateros of course!

 I love balut!  Its one of my favorite food in the world.  Balut are very substantial and nutritious, and the best part of it- they're cheap!

Balut has taken some bad reputation.  They being high on cholesterol and uric acid.  But my thoughts on those are simple:

Balut is a very basic food- fertilized 17 day old duck egg boiled in water for 30-45 minutes.

 If there is any other food to fear cholesterol or uric acid from, I am sure those are the canned, preserved, ground food swimming in hard-to-pronounce liquid.
 I buy my balut fix in Pateros.  Specifically from Mr Jessie of Sta Martha's Balut Industry.
I tried it elsewhere, but it really won't do.  Here in Jessie's place the balut is EXTREMELY fresh.  You can taste the difference.
They sell them cooked or sariwa ( raw).  Balut or Penoy ( unfertilized boiled duck egg).  Some vendors buy balut  "basag" meaning broken shells.  They are cheaper and equally fresh.

 But I would rather buy the pristine ones.
They also sell these red salted duck eggs which would make a favorite accompaniment to fried bangus       ( milkfish) for breakfast.
I tried to take a photo of balut with my elementary camera ( not SLR type) and this is what I had.  I would compare our humble balut to our sweet durian.  What you see (or smell) might not be what it is.  This might be your best one yet.  Try it first.


Sta Martha's Balut Industry
953 P. Herrera Street, Pateros, Metro Manila
Jessie- 09079595410
Ruel- 09072460825
Balut, Penoy, Salted Egg, Quail Egg
Balut cooked- 11 pesos
Balut raw- 8.50 pesos
Salted duck egg- 8.50

3 comments:

  1. Hi. How exactly do I commute to Herrera Street from Pasig's Immaculate Concepcion Church?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir how to reach your place from Las pinas I am interested to wholesale balut business

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Editha. Please contact the numbers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the visit. Comment away!