Thursday, February 16, 2012

Seafood ramen in miso soup

Last night I made seafood ramen for dinner.  My sons have been craving and DEMANDING I cook ramen for the whole week.  But I've been holding out for a new recipe I plan to make- Miso based ramen.

 I've already tried  shoyu (soy sauce) and shio (salt) soup base before, so I like to make it more challenging.  I bought a tub of Korean Doenjang (miso paste), a pack of wakame ( dried seaweed) , a tube of soft tofu and dashi.  

This would be my first time to use miso paste and I'm a little bit apprehensive.  I hope I can make dinner we can actually eat. :} 

So here is my list of ingredients for

Seafood Ramen in Miso Soup

2 Tablespoon Miso Paste
1 handful of dried wakame ( soak in water)
1 tube of soft tofu , cubed
1 Tablespoon of dashi
1/2 Kilo Chicken bones boiled in 3 Cups water, strained, reserve liquid
1/4 Kilo Shrimp, shelled, deveined and blanched
6 pcs Crab ball ( bought from Chinese specialty stores)
1/4 Kilo Squid, sliced into rings and blanched
5 hard boiled eggs, shelled
1/4 cup chopped green onion ( for flavor)
1/4 cup Baguio Petchay
3 packets of unflavored Korean Ramensari (Ottogi brand is good enough)
salt and pepper to taste

Its a long list of ingredients.  But the thing is for Japanese dishes, it probably would be better  to cook this dish if you have some left over uncooked seafood and vegetable scraps.  The tub of miso, dried wakame, ramensari and dashi granules must be always in your pantry for emergency cravings.

Procedure:
Boil chicken stock, add dashi  and dump everything in the pot.  Starting with crab ball, eggs, Baguio petchay and wakame.  In a bowl, put miso paste and dilute with a tablespoon of hot chicken soup.  Add the mixture to the pot. Boil ramensari for 2 minutes in the stock. Do not overcook.  Season with salt and pepper.  

In individual bowls, put soft tofu, blanched seafood, wakame, ramensari, egg, baguio petchay and green onion.  Pour miso soup stock.  Slurp and enjoy!  Warning: It can be addictive.

trivia: Miso or fermented soya paste is japan's secret to longevity.

Sorry, I wasn't able to take a picture of the finished product.  It took all 30 seconds to slurp it all down, I didn't have time to get my camera. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the visit. Comment away!